Saturday, April 30, 2011

Summer Dress - Butterick B4978




Hi

This dress was made for Easter. I am so glad I started at the end of March because it was time consuming. This was mainly because I adapted the pattern and secondly because of the hand sewing required. The dress is a semi fitted, flared and lined with a back zipper. The fabric is silk chiffon and silk satin.



I had previously made the dress in a cotton / linen fabric last year. It is wearable but I was not happy with the drape, it feels stiff. I also did not like the midriff band. SO I thought how hard can it be to extend the bodice from a princess line to the waist. I made a muslin and was reasonably happy with the fit on Margret. I made the lining which required considerable tweaking. The outer fabric was not as bad because it is less fitted.

I also made other changes, the pattern asks for the skirt to be cut on the bias which I did not have the fabric to complete, I also omitted the front slit because it is time consuming and I worry about fraying. I hand sewed all the trim on the wrong side because I think it leaves a better finish. All the seams are French to avoid fraying. The invisible zip went in better than expected possibly because I inserted the chiffon and satin together. I could not face putting the zip in with just the chiffon. I am not sure if this is correct but I think it will increase the life of my dress so please forgive me if it is a crime.

I am happy with the outcome the dress is delightful to wear, however it is far from perfect and I hope I learn my lesson that I should have given the pattern up and found a new one that did not have a midriff band.

As I am sure you have noticed the last three garments are chiffon and dresses. This is because my local fabric store recently had a 50% sale and the silks were irresistible. Also until this year I have not had the confidence to try chiffon and I am excited to find both patterns for it and my ability are equal to the challenge.

Cheers Lara.

No comments:

Post a Comment