Saturday, June 4, 2011

Simplicity 2550






Hi
I made this dress for our recent trip to Melbourne, although it was mostly for work we had a dinner planned with friends for Saturdays night. Melbourne is the “fashion capital” of Australia and I was looking forward to getting dressed for dinner. Sadly our friends said they were keen on relaxing and wearing their jeans! I think my dress is too much for work and will suit a limited number of places. No regrets I am happy with my pattern choice and it was a challenge to find the right style for the fabric.

The pattern is not complex but with any lined dress it does take some time I think it took two weekends. I made version C as shown in the line drawing obviously without buttons and I turned up the sleave to form a cuff. Although the pattern does not have lining I cut the dress pattern in lining fabric. On my manikin the fit is great across the chest. However on me I think the upper bodice may be a little long or wide for me with slight folds at times. This did not happen with the muslin but it was not the same weight of fabric. Over time I will think about this problem so next time I can prevent it happening. Any suggestions are welcome?

The fabric is a wool woven roll end that has lace over a check pattern in black and grey from Emma one sock. I liked the fabric for some time but was not sure what garment would suit the large lace pattern so I held of buying when it come on the roll ends I could not resist. One of my favourite parts of sewing is the planning stage, when I sift through my patterns and look at the internet patterns and imagine how the fabric would look in that style. When I brought this I thought I would make a skirt. Then I saw this dress from YSL and decided on a dress. I found the whole collection inspiring. As I could not find a pattern to match, I settled for the Simplicity 2550.








Cheers Lara

2 comments:

  1. This looks very good on you! I have this pattern on my to-do list- it's nice to see it made up so successfully. The fabric is so beautiful and very flattering on you! Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I finally figured out what was preventing me from posting on your blog, and a bunch of other ones, for the past couple weeks. I deleted some cookies and signed out of some sites that I stay logged into and I am back in business. So catching up....
    This fabric and pattern combo made a really lovely dress. I clicked on the photo to get a good look at the fabric before reading the post. It looked so unique. I wasn't surprised to learn it was from EOS. I like her taste in fabrics, but not her prices. Hope you get a chance to wear it soon.

    ReplyDelete